Top Shadow

Hurricane Matthew Assistance information

Posted: 10/17/2016

Congressman Walter Jones shared the following Hurricane Matthew information. Very helpful information for those in need.

Hurricane Matthew Update

Last week, North Carolina received very heavy rains from Hurricane Matthew. My thoughts and prayers are with all those who continue to feel its effects. As we all work together amid this flooding, I have compiled some resources and information to better help.

Basic Information                   

Call 211 for shelters, food assistance, and storm recovery info

Call 911 for life-threatening emergencies

Call 511 for roadway conditions


On October 10, President Obama declared a major disaster for several North Carolina counties in order to receive assistance for Hurricane Matthew damage. Grant assistance provided by FEMA may include funds to help with costs such as rent, temporary housing, moving, storage, repairs to damaged or destroyed property, transportation, small business loans, farm recovery, as well as medical and dental expenses during the recovery period.


North Carolina residents should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.


Applying for Individual Assistance

As of the morning of Friday, October 14th, residents of Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Columbus, Cumberland, Dare, Duplin, Edgecombe, Gates, Greene, Harnett, Hoke, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lenoir, Nash, Pender, Pitt, Robeson, Sampson, Wayne, and Wilson counties who have received damage as a result of Hurricane Matthew can register with FEMA. The list of counties eligible for the Individual Assistance program is likely to change throughout the coming days. Please visit my website for the most up-to-date information.


Applications to the Individual Assistance Program can be made by:

• Applying online at

• Calling at 1-800-621-3362

• Those with speech disability or hearing loss who use TTY: 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), calls 1-800-621-3362.


These toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice; operators are standing by to assist survivors in multiple languages.


What You Will Need to Apply

• Social Security number

• Address of the damaged home or apartment

• Description of the damage

• Information about your insurance coverage

• Current contact telephone number

• Address where you can receive mail

• Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds.


Additional Resources

• The Internal Revenue Service has advised that taxpayers affected by the hurricane may qualify for penalty relief if they are unable to meet Monday’s extended deadline for filing 2015 tax returns. Taxpayers in counties that have been approved for the Individual Assistance program (listed above) will have until March 15, 2017 to file returns that are due Monday, the 17th of October. Taxpayers who have been impacted but reside outside of those counties may receive a penalty notice. If this happens, the taxpayer can request an abatement of the penalties by explaining, in writing, how they have been impacted by Hurricane Matthew.

• Businesses, non-profits, homeowners, and renters affected by the severe storms and flooding can apply for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration. SBA loans are referred via the FEMA Disaster Assistance registration (link above).

• Farmers who have an agricultural emergency can call 1-866-645-9403, and can find additional information at

• For flood insurance questions, please call 1-800-621-3362 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and select option 2. Call center staff will be available to assist with information regarding policies, offer technical flood guidance to aid in recovery, and answer other flood insurance questions.

• American Red Cross: 1-800-768-8048.

• Additional Information can be found at:

 As always, my staff and I are here to serve you.  If you have a question or need help, please contact my Greenville office at (252) 931-1003. Also, I encourage you to visit my Facebook page or follow my Twitter for further information.


Thank you,

Congressman Jones

Bottom Shadow
Copyright 2010 by Goldsboro Pediatrics. All rights reserved.
Web Design by Evolve, Inc.
Bottom Shadow